The International Living Future Institute is an inspiring hub for visionary programs. Our mission is to lead and support the transformation toward communities that are socially just, culturally rich and ecologically restorative.
In 2014 we announced the Living Future ChallengeTM, a bold new framework for re-thinking the way humanity designs its systems, products, buildings and communities. Based on the elegant and profound architecture of the Living Building Challenge, utilizing nature as the ultimate end-game metric for success, the Living Future Challenge now branches into all aspects of society:
- Living Building Challenge™, the built environment’s most rigorous and ambitious performance standard
- Living Community Challenge™, applying Living Building concepts to entire communities or cities
- Living Product Challenge™, challenging designers and manufacturers to create net positive products
- Net Zero Energy Building Certification™, certifying successful energy conservation in both new and existing buildings
- Just™, the social justice label for organizations
- Declare™, the materials nutrition label
- Reveal™, the energy efficiency label for buildings
About Our Logo
People often wonder why a common dandelion features prominently in the logo of the International Living Future Institute (the Institute). We carefully and intentionally chose the dandelion–taraxacum officinale–as the symbol of the Institute because it stands for many of the same things we do. It is a perfect metaphor. The Institute is committed to creating truly restorative structures and communities, generating global discussion about the need for transformative change in our built environment and flipping conventional wisdom on its head. Our logo’s beautifully stubborn flower helps us convey all that and more. Think it’s a weed? Think again.
The dandelion symbolizes strength.
The dandelion is collaborative.
The dandelion endures.
The dandelion is simple.
The dandelion is curative.
The dandelion generates no waste.
The dandelion spreads elegantly.
The dandelion is a weed to some people, but to us it represents the possibilities of a restorative future. What, after all, could be more naturally beautiful than a reproductive cycle that relies on the winds of change? Read more about the dandelion’s qualities and why it so perfectly emulates the mission of the International Living Future Institute.