Net Zero Energy is a sought-after goal for many buildings around the world. All such buildings rely on exceptional energy conservation and on-site renewable generation to meet all of their heating, cooling and electricity needs. Yet, many buildings that claim to be Net Zero in fact are not; actual Net Zero Energy buildings are still rare. The Institute's Net Zero Energy Building Certification™ is the only program in the world that verifies net zero energy building performance.
Net Zero Energy Building Certification™:
- Through independent, third-party auditing of energy bills and metering data, verifies the building is truly operating as claimed, harnessing energy from the sun, wind or earth to exceed net annual demand. It’s one thing to say a building is zero energy; it’s another thing to prove it.
- Provides a platform for the building to inform other efforts throughout the world and accelerate the implementation of restorative principles. Our case studies are used worldwide by cutting edge building developers and designers - let your hard work inspire others around the globe.
- Celebrates a significant accomplishment and differentiates those responsible for the building’s success in this quickly evolving market. ILFI-certified Net Zero Energy Buildings regularly find themselves with much greater exposure and recognition than they are able to receive on their own.
- Allows green pioneers from around the world to receive the recognition they deserve for their hard work, and take their place in the galaxy of ILFI Living, Petal, and Net Zero Energy certified buildings.
For frequently asked questions about this program, visit the Details page.
Net Zero Energy Building Certification is a program operated by the International Living Future Institute using the structure of the Living Building Challenge – the world’s most rigorous and progressive green building program.
To earn Net Zero Energy Building Certification, the requirements of the following three Living Building Challenge™ Imperatives must be met:
- Limits to Growth (in part): Curbs the building’s contribution to the effects of sprawled development, which undermines the positive impact of achieving net zero energy building operation.
- Net Positive Energy (in part): Serves as the primary focus of Net Zero Energy Building Certification. Energy bills and metering are reviewed to ensure actual net zero performance. Note that the 105% offset and energy storage requirements of the Imperative are NOT required for Net Zero Energy Building certification - net zero energy performance only is required.
- Beauty + Spirit and Inspiration + Education: Underscore the notion that renewable energy systems can be incorporated into a building in ways that are attractive, informative, and inspiring.
To view the documentation requirements, click this image [.pdf download]:
Registration is the first step toward earning Net Zero Energy Building Certification. The registration cost is $900.00 (US). Registering your building announces your intention and enables the project team to access the Institute's certification support resources.
Certification fees are commensurate with the size of your building.