Title: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Part-time, exempt position
Reports to: CEO
Hours: Estimated hours 20 hours/week
Location: Seattle, WA
Background and Scope
The International Living Future Institute (ILFI), a dynamic and fast growing non-profit, seeks a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee the finances of the organization. The CFO is responsible for managing and reporting on all fiscal, governance and fiduciary affairs of the organization as well as assisting the CEO with strategic planning around the budget and organizational growth. This is a wonderful opportunity to pair your financial expertise in the non-profit sector with your passion for the environment. ILFI has the mission to lead and support the transformation toward communities that are socially just, culturally rich and ecologically restorative.
ILFI has offices in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, and Pittsburgh, PA as well as additional remote staff across the country. The position will involve periodic travel within the Pacific Northwest as the Controller works out of the Portland office. ILFI offers a collaborative, team-oriented workplace. While the work is demanding, the hours are often flexible, benefits are generous, and good times are frequent. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Description of Duties
Financial Management and Oversight (70%)
- Ensure accuracy and compliance of all financial data and direct all reporting of financial information. Supervise Controller and serve as a technical and advisory resource.
- Monitor the organization’s financial position and issue timely reports on its financial stability, variance from budget, and liquidity to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the budgeting process, ensure real time budget transparency and set up Program Directors to successfully manage their budgets.
- Serve as primary liaison with external auditors, state and federal agencies.
- Take responsibility for all tax filing and reporting.
- Ensure all grant funds awarded and received are accounted for and expended in compliance with applicable laws and/or donor designation.
- Work together with the VP Operations to ensure that Operations and Finance are working seamlessly together.
- Provide oversight for best practice investing and the potential to grow an endowment.
Financial Reporting/Strategic Budget development (30%)
- Work together with the CEO to strategically plan for and envision the growth of ILFI’s budget and mission in alliance with our strategic plan and establish best practices for financial growth and stability.
- Work with the Development Director on an as-needed basis to develop budgets for grant applications.
- Work with the Development Director to provide support for grant reporting.
- 10 years of broad financial experience with at least 2 years experience in a high level and/or executive finance position
- Extensive knowledge of nonprofit budgeting and accounting
- Experience in a complex organization that has multiple funding sources, including earned and philanthropic income
- CPA and/or MBA
- Experience working with multiple affiliated entities, both national and international.
- Strong ability and affinity for basic office computer programs with the ability to learn new software applications. Hardware and software will be Mac based.
- Demonstrated commitment to ILFI’s mission.
THE INTERNATIONAL LIVING FUTURE INSTITUTE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe that our staff should reflect the diversity of the communities in which we live in order to achieve a living future that is socially just, cultural rich and ecologically restorative. We are committed to hiring and advancing staff that represent voices from traditionally underrepresented populations.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – CFO”. Position will remain open until filled.