Title: Education + Living Building Challenge Director
Reports to: Vice President, Living Building Challenge
Hours: Full time
Location: Seattle, WA
Background and Scope of Responsibility
The International Living Future Institute (ILFI), a dynamic and solutions-oriented non-profit, seeks an exceptional Education + Living Building Challenge Director to support its programs. ILFI’s mission is to lead and support the transformation toward communities that are socially just, culturally rich and ecologically restorative. The successful candidate must exhibit a strong passion for the environment and the organization’s mission.
The Education + Living Building Challenge Director serves two key roles in the organization. The first is to direct ILFI’s Education team and ensure the successful continued development and implementation of ILFI’s educational vision. The second is to direct several key components of ILFI’s Living Building Challenge program including its consulting support of Living Building Challenge projects and oversight of initiatives such as the Affordable Housing Initiative, Net Positive Water Initiative, and the Biophilic Design Transition Lab. The Director will supervise five current staff, previous supervisory experience is a must.
The work of the Education Team is focused on inspiring passion and interest as well as building knowledge and skills to transform the building sector via exceptional education and training. The Director’s role includes planning, managing, and promoting educational events; overseeing and supporting the design, creation, and editing of educational content; and directing and growing our continuing education and accreditation programs. They will oversee the current Education Manager who is responsible for the day to day management of Education at ILFI.
The Living Building Challenge is widely accepted as the most innovative green building standard in the world. It defines the most advanced measure of sustainability in the built environment possible today and acts to diminish the gap between current limits and ideal solutions. The Director’s role within the Living Building Challenge team is to strategically support projects pursuing the Living Building Challenge that engage ILFI in consulting contracts, via facilitation of charrettes and workshops, feasibility studies, review of documents, and research. The Director will work with the Technical Director and other staff to manage development of resources to make the Living Building Challenge possible, such as Petal Handbooks, specialized training programs and crosswalks with other programs. The Director will also oversee new and existing initiatives focused on removing barriers to achieving the Living Building Challenge.
This Director will have exceptional staff management skills, possess a strong vision for education development and delivery and have a thorough understanding of the Living Building Challenge program in order to oversee the support of project teams around the world. The successful candidate will be highly organized, a strategic thinker, a natural and inspirational leader and be comfortable working independently with minimal supervision. They will be able to manage multiple projects, partnerships, and staff simultaneously.
This job is full time, exempt, and requires a willingness to work a flexible schedule where after hours meetings and travel are required. ILFI has offices in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, and Pittsburgh, PA as well as additional remote staff across the country. This position will require periodic travel across the US and possibly beyond.
ILFI offers a fast-paced, collaborative, team-oriented workplace that is mission driven. Compensation is commensurate with experience and is supplemented by ILFI’s generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, employee life insurance, 403(b) retirement matching, three weeks of paid annual leave and twelve days annual sick leave.
Description of Duties
- Direct education for ILFI and its programs, ensuring a calendar of education that is comprehensive, inspiring and aligns with our strategic vision.
- Oversee the Education Manager and ensure excellence in delivery and creation across all of our Education offerings which include conference submittals and presentations, live webinars, on-demand courses, live workshops and shoulder events at our 3 annual conferences and external conferences.
- Direct the Education Manager on continuing education requirements for ILFI programs.
- Implement the vision to grow the Institute’s Living Future Accreditation program.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of educational content.
- Direct and develop education partnerships with other like-minded organizations and academic institutions.
- Develop and manage the Education budget.
Living Building Challenge Consulting (30%)
- Together with the VP of Living Building Challenge, direct ILFI’s consulting and project team support efforts including writing proposals, client management, all phases of project management, implementation of services such as charrette and meeting facilitation, project review and analysis.
- Manage the staff within the Living Building Challenge team who are working on consulting, providing mentorship and guidance and overseeing their work including research and report writing.
- Develop and manage the Living Building Challenge consulting work plan.
Living Building Challenge Resources + Initiatives (20%)
- Oversee ILFI’s Affordable Housing Initiative and the Affordable Housing Manager.
- Oversee our focused work on Net Positive Water that includes grant research, partnerships and resource development.
- Together with the LBC Technical Director, manage the development of Living Building Challenge resources such as Petal handbooks and Crosswalks with other programs.
- Minimum 10-12 years of related professional experience in green building consulting and education delivery and development.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in a field complimentary to job duties and/or mission of the organization. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated deep familiarity with the Living Building Challenge program.
- 5-10 years’ experience with staff management, work planning, and budget management.
- 5+ years of client management and project management experience especially in fields related to the built environment and sustainable design.
- 2-5 years of experience in the creation of compelling and engaging education programs, both in-person and online, for professional audiences.
- Strong graphic design eye and ability to guide staff in creating content that meets our branding standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational, outreach and facilitation skills.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders representing different organizations, backgrounds and perspectives.
- Experience with online solutions such as Eventbrite, Zoom, LMS systems, web-design content management systems such as WordPress, and/or Salesforce CRM.
- Mac OS familiarity.
- Living Future Accreditation and/or LEED Accreditation.
- Friendly, outgoing nature and an eagerness to serve the public interest.
ILFI IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe that our staff should reflect the diversity of the communities in which we live in order to achieve a living future that is socially just, cultural rich and ecologically restorative. We are committed to hiring and advancing staff that represent voices from traditionally underrepresented populations.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Education + LBC Director”. Applications will be accepted through February 8, 2018.