As a member of the International Living Future Institute (ILFI), you join a network of the most innovative and inspired people within the building industry dedicated to supporting the green building movement in local communities around the world.
|If you live or work in Alaska, British
Columbia, Washington or Oregon
|If you live or work anywhere else
in the world (aside from Australia*).
|If you live or work in Australia, you can support our mission through the Living Future Institute of Australia (LFIA).
Become an LFIA member today.
While the Institute's mission is global in scope, its roots are in North America's Cascadia bioregion. In addition to joining the Institute, members in this region also join its local program and partner, the Cascadia Green Building Council (Cascadia).
We have combined our existing ILFI/Cascadia membership and the Living Building Challenge Community Subscription into one ILFI/Cascadia membership. The Living Building Challenge Community resources have been transitioned from ilbi.org to a new, more intuitive platform at this website.
- Member discounts to all Cascadia & Institute events, including the Living Future unConference, Net Positive Energy + Water Conference and webinars.
- 10% discount and free shipping on all of our beautiful Ecotone Publishing Books*
- Digital access to Trim Tab magazine, published four times a year and access to full archives
Ability to earn continuing education hours at no extra charge (depending on your local collaborative offering)
Additional Purchase Options:
- Receive quarterly printed issues of Trim Tab for $49.99 for one year
- Receive digital access to the current version of the Living Building Challenge Petal Handbooks for $150.00
- 10% discount on the printed Living Building Challenge standard
- Why should I join?
- Where has the Living Building Challenge Community subscription gone?
- What is the difference between the Institute & Cascadia membership?
- How can I access the online Living Building Challenge dialogue?
- Why are you charging for Petal Handbooks?
- Why do I have to pay extra to receive the print version of Trim Tab?
- Can my company become a member?
- How much does it cost?
- Why did the membership price increase?
- If I become a Cascadia or Institute member, do I also become a member of the USGBC? CaGBC?
- Do I have to be a member to purchase the print version of Trim Tab and receive access to the LBC Petal Handbooks?
- How long does my membership last?
- I am unemployed and I can't afford a regularly priced membership. Can you help me?
- I still have questions. What should I do?
Why should I join?
Together with our members, we seek to catalyze the transformation toward communities that are socially just, culturally rich and ecologically restorative. Our members support the development and expansion of our vision for a Living Future, including the strategies embodied by the Living Building Challenge. Your membership:
- Announces your commitment to creating a Living Future.
- Makes us more effective when we advocate for local policies that support green building.
- Underwrites leading-edge education, advocacy and outreach.
- Helps advanced critical knowledge around the Living Building Challenge™.
- Strengthens your local green building community.
- Supports your professional development.
Where has the Living Building Challenge Community subscription gone?
We have combined our membership and Living Building Challenge Community subscription into one package in order to create a seamless experience for our supporters and to strengthen our network of leading-edge practitioners. Previously many subscribers were also Institute members, realizing that the member benefits offered discounts for our events and publication that paid for itself immediately. Now there is one membership but Petal handbooks are an additional cost.
What is the difference between the Institute & Cascadia membership?
Cascadia & the Institute memberships are interchangeable. If you join Cascadia, you are also a member of the Institute, and vice versa! Though, if you live in the Cascadia bio-region (AK, BC, WA, OR) you should join as a Cascadia member; if you live anywhere else you should join as an Institute member.
How can I access the online dialogue?
Only registered project teams can access the on-line dialogue as of February 2nd, 2014. The petal Handbooks combine all relevant dialogue posts for each Petal and will be updated with new posts periodically.
Why are you charging for Petal Handbooks?
We now have a full suite of 2.1 and 3.0 Petal Handbooks for the Living Building Challenge that offer a significant resource for project teams and others. During their initial release we provided them as a free resource. In order to support the expansion of the program and systems to support it we now need to charge for the Petal Handbooks but we have removed the additional subscription that was previously needed to view them.
Why do I have to pay extra to receive the print version of Trim Tab?
The Institute was fortunate to receive a grant that supported the printing of Trim Tab for all members. The magazine offers our members in-depth information on emerging trends and leading-edge ideas focused on redefining how we design, construct and operate buildings and communities. It is a beautiful product that showcases the pioneers in sustainability and the additional cost supports our ability to use the most sustainable resources for each printed copy. The digital version is still free for all members.
Why did the membership price increase?
We haven’t raised our prices in 5 years and with the effects of climate change increasing and resource depletion on the rise the need to redefine the green building industry is paramount. We need your support now, more than ever, to offer global strategies and raise the bar for lasting sustainability where future generations can thrive.
If I become a Cascadia or Institute member, do I also become a member of the USGBC? CaGBC?
No. The USGBC and CaGBC are separate organizations with separate membership programs. Cascadia is a Chapter of both the USGBC and CaGBC, however membership is not reciprocal.
I am unemployed and I can't afford a regularly priced membership. Can you help me?
Yes! Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you.
I still have questions. What should I do?
Send an email to email@example.com and our membership team can help you out!