Living Product Challenge Certification is based on actual, rather than modeled or anticipated, performance. All Living Product Challenge products are audited by an approved third party assessor before receiving certification. Certification is valid for three years, and manufacturers are required to have annual check-ins to ensure compliance.
There are three pathways to Living Product Certification
Full Living Product Certification: Requires all performance areas (Petals) and the twenty Imperatives.
Petal Certification: At least three of the seven performance areas (Petals), one of which must be:
In addition, each of the four Core Imperatives, 05 Transparent Material Health, 07 Red List, 09 Responsible Industry, and 20 Inspiration + Education are required.
Imperative Certification: Requires manufacturers to achieve a minimum of seven Imperatives, including the four core Imperatives listed above.
As of May 22, 2017, all manufacturers must pursue V1.1 of the Living Product Challenge standard.
Review the Living Product Challenge Standard
- Download the Living Product Challenge (LPC) 1.1 Standard to understand the basic requirements of the program.
- Even if your product does not yet comply with those core Imperatives, we can work with you to outline a path to certification.
- Our staff also work with manufacturers to develop new, innovative products whose processes are informed by the Living Product Challenge framework.
Feasibility and Consulting
- Contact us at LPC.Support@living-future.org to discuss opportunities to build upon your sustainability efforts and communicate to the market and your customers.
- For more in-depth guidance on the program, we can host kick-off charrette or feasibility review to provide a thorough review of the requirements and demonstrate how you can align your product with the Living Product Challenge framework.
- LIVING PRODUCT CHARRETTE: Kick-off meeting to help define fundamental, strategic goals to guide a company through product transformation to achieve LPC Certification
- FEASIBILITY REVIEW: An in-depth analysis of your product and facility to determine the potential for certification.
SELECT AN ASSESSOR & MAKE A CERTIFICATION PLAN
- Select a third party Assessor from the LPC Ecosystem, a group of the leading product certification and sustainability consulting companies. Assessors help to gather documentation, and can also perform additional consulting roles, helping your company to prepare material health evaluations and conduct Life Cycle Assessment.
Together, we’ll set a goal for certification level, determine a timeline and create a proposal.
Living Product Challenge Certification Fees (per product)
|Charrette + Feasibility||Imperative||Petal||Full|
|Certification Fee (Assessor Fee Included)||$5,000||$5,000||$10,000||$15,000|
|Site Audit Fee||-||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000|
|Annual Check In||-||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000|
Contact LPC.SUPPORT@LIVING-FUTURE.ORG to get started.
Once the proposal is signed, the manufacturer will be given access to a secure file structure to upload documentation. Manufacturers work with their assessor to organize documentation for submission to the Institute.
After documentation is submitted, the assessor performs an audit of the facility. If any issues are identified, manufacturers may receive a list of corrective actions from the assessor and given the opportunity to bring their product or processes into compliance.
Our staff will perform a final documentation review and issue a label and Certification Report.
- Commit to a healthy world for your customers by following the highest standards of non-toxic responsible materials selection
- Show your commitment to producing materials in a socially responsible manner
- Prove that you value your employees by prioritizing an equitable workplace
- Ensure that the production of each and every product actually produces net positive benefits for human’s and the environment
- Reduce the impact of your product’s lifecycle
- Showcase your commitment to the healthy materials economy