Invest in the future of your community by using regenerative design strategies in your next project.
Design for the Future
With the Living Community Challenge framework you can create communities that are:
- Healthy for all elements of life
- Nurturing and generous places that promote healthy lifestyles for everyone
- Net Positive with respect to water and energy. Living Communities generate their own energy and capture and treat all the water they need.
- Designed using multipurpose elements. Nothing has only a single purpose; everything has multiple benefits to the community and environment
- Regenerative spaces for people and natural ecosystems
- Places that are walkable, bike-able, and have affordable public transportation.
The Living Community Challenge has two core rules
- All Imperatives are mandatory.
- Certification is based on actual, rather than modeled or anticipated, performance.
Performance Areas (Petals) & Imperatives
The Living Community Challenge is organized into seven performance areas (Petals). Each performance area has a number of more detailed requirements (Imperatives).
Restoring a healthy interrelationship with nature.
Creating developments that operate within the water balance of a given place and climate.
Relying only on current solar income.
HEALTH & HAPPINESS PETAL
Creating environments that optimize physical and psychological health and well being.
Endorsing products that are safe for all species through time.
Supporting a just and equitable world.
Celebrating plans that purpose transformative change.
A term used to describe going outside the limits of project boundary for better solutions Example: A residential development that collects rooftop-harvested rainwater from multiple buildings into a common cistern where the water is then pumped back to each home for use.
Who Creates Living Communities?
Projects Around the World
We work with people from around the world who want their community to thrive.
• architects & landscape architects
• developers, owners, & project managers
• sustainability consultants
• municipalities & development authorities
• community groups & neighborhood associations
- Boost your local economy
- Improve safety, access, and health
- Raise awareness of place, culture, and community goals
- Set an example for a successful community